Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Basics: Introduction

One of my main purposes for starting this blog is setting up a forum where people can discuss, debate, and learn about MLB transactions rules, and specifically how they affect the Mets. I became interested in the subject a few years ago when I could not find a website that listed which Mets had options remaining and which did not. In searching for that information, I discovered how little I actually knew about what options really were and how they worked. A little more digging, and I learned how little I knew about other transactions-relevant topics, like the 40-man roster, waivers, arbitration, the Rule 5 draft, service time, and many, many more. So, I resolved to learn about them. They're often complicated, but I feel like I have developed a pretty good grasp on a lot of them. And, perhaps more importantly, I've gotten much better at finding my own answers when a transaction question comes up that I don't know the answer to.

Anyway, I think it's appropriate to start this blog by putting together a series of posts on some of the basic transactions questions that I've had over the years. I'll start with a few of the more important topics, and then add more as new questions come up. After I've gotten the ball rolling, I'll begin taking a look at specifics of the Mets' various rosters, some of the moves they've made, what options they have for the future, and how all of it can be analyzed through a transactions lens.

No comments:

Post a Comment